We store cookies on your device to make sure we give you the best experience on this website. I'm fine with this - Turn cookies off
Switch to an accessible version of this website which is easier to read. (requires cookies)

Question to Kent County Council [with answer], 22 July 2010: Disabled Person's Registration Card

July 22, 2010 10:53 AM

Question by George Koowaree to the Cabinet Member for Adult Social Services

Will the Cabinet Member for Adult Social Services please inform this council why there have been a 2-year delay in the introduction of a Disabled Person's Registration Card (proof that they are eligible to use disabled facilities) for people who have as a significant disability:

  • are registered as blind with a local authority
  • have a Blue Badge parking permit
  • receive Disability Living Allowance (either care or mobility component)
  • receive Attendance Allowance or Industrial Injury Constant Attendance Allowance
  • have a long-term indwelling catheter or stoma.
  • and need to use facilities provided for disabled people or need to ask for assistance; and inform members when this card will finally be available?


I met with Mr G Koowaree over the last two years, together with officers, to discuss the particular issue of people with hidden disabilities needing access to disabled facilities such as toilets.

Based on this discussion, it was agreed that the best way forward was to build links with local businesses and communities to look at the possibility of developing a suitable scheme in Kent.

Subsequent to that meeting, I also asked KASS officers to investigate a similar scheme in Nottinghamshire. Discussions are ongoing and I shall inform Members when further progress is made.

It is important that this is seen in the context of wider public health issues and to note that the council already provides means of identification for disabled people such as Blue Badges and disabled registration cards.